Thursday, July 5, 2012

Engine Arrived

The engine arrived around 10am an had a big boo-boo on one side. I was just hoping that nothing inside was damaged.

Anxiously, I took the box apart.

Peeking at the hole from the inside, I could see that it was unlikely to have caused any interior damage as there was just air behind the hole. Still, the Rotax box could have gotten a bit of a blow but that would probably not do anything to the engine.
I continued unpacking...

Wow! This must have been my lucky day. The little, lengthy box on the opposite side of the damage is the propeller. Had it been hit like on the other side, the prop would have certainly taken some damage.
I cleaned out the shipping crate until only the Rotax box was left.

I turned the crate on its side and let the engine box slowly slide down.

Then I helped the Rotax out of the shipping crate by sliding it out, pulling away the shipping crate.

Then the dolly came into play by providing a nice, movable platform for the engine crate.

That's when I noticed that the Rotax crate did get hit by this punch that caused the hole.

I cut off the steel tapes and inspected the interior. The tapes are the only things that hold the box together, by the way. There are no additional screws or clips.

I removed all the extra goodies that were in the box and unwrapped the plastic. Obviously the crate did a good job in protecting the engine. No damages visible!

Wow, there's the monetary equivalent of a new truck sitting right in front of me. I still can't completely believe it that I spent that much money on a little 100hp engine.
I will spare you the pictures of me inventorying the shipment. It's really the least enjoyable part of the build by far. Nothing was missing, not even in the bags. Good job, Van's!
I started building right away. Installed the battery in the tray.

Then manufactured the stand-offs for the bolts and bolted it down.

Following where the problem child in the form of the voltage regulator from Ducati.

Then the relays and the MAP sensor.

And finally, the battery cables and the fuel pressure sensor (on the right).

I had skipped the page that asked for installing more wires under the "hood" behind the panel. I do not want to take off that cover before finishing the fitting procedure of the canopy. So the plan is to do that tomorrow morning and then hopefully finish it, so I can move on with taking the cover off and installing those wire harnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment